What Is Asphalt Milling?
Asphalt milling is the process of removing old asphalt pavement with a machine. This could be a matter of a few inches or it could be a full-depth removal, but either way, it serves as an affordable solution for restoring asphalt pavement. Rather than a complete demolition and repaving, Westchester asphalt milling involves grinding up the asphalt surface in order to provide an even surface for repaving. Milling can also occur when water lines, sewer lines, or gas main lines are being replaced.
Asphalt pavement may be one of the oldest urban technologies still used today, but asphalt milling is actually relatively new, and it’s grown along with the technologies and equipment used to do the job. Asphalt milling is an increasingly popular practice in road maintenance and restoration (also known as asphalt rejuvenation, asphalting, or surface milling). Today the practice is seen as a great way for business owners and municipalities to get restored pavement affordably and sustainably.
Why Asphalt Milling Is Good For You
Asphalt milling can be a win-win for everyone involved, including you and the construction company doing the work. The reason is that Westchester asphalt milling is quite effective and economical, and also ends up being green since the end results are a resurfaced road that’s better off than it was before.
Asphalt millings also use recycled material — it’s basically just crushed asphalt. So in the end, we have a much lower carbon footprint than if we used fresh asphalt or some other paving material.
Finally, it’s important to remember that asphalt milling can take care of specific problems on asphalt driveways or parking lots, without the need to tear up and repave the entire thing from scratch. This also makes it one of the most affordable residential paving services available.
Summary Of The Benefits Of Asphalt Milling
There are numerous benefits of asphalt milling, including:
- Very cost-efficient
- The repairs last longer and keep going longer because they’re done with a sustainable process
- Saves you time
- Significantly reduces noise pollution from traffic caused by rough roads
- Doesn’t cause as much dust as other types of construction equipment does
- Improves safety on your roadway or parking lot for vehicles and pedestrians alike
- Can take care of specific problems on your roadway or driveway, without the need to repave the entire thing
What To Expect During Asphalt Milling In Westchester County…And Beyond
Typically, the asphalt milling process involves several steps, but what you can basically expect if you’re looking into it for your roadway or parking lot is as follows:
- Our construction team will first remove the asphalt via cutting heads assigned a specific depth. As we cut and move along the area, a vacuum sucks up the milled materials, depositing them in a conveyance system that moves them to a holding/dump truck. (The dump truck moves with the milling machine so the material can be collected as it is removed, saving a lot of time and energy that would come with trying to collect it later). The existing asphalt can then be recycled and used in other applications, which reduces costs even further.
- We then sweep the area clean of any remaining debris or dust that may interfere with the next step.
- After sweeping, we’ll lay down a new asphalt base coat, which easily bonds to the old one and is typically dense enough to handle levels of traffic soon after it’s been laid.
- Once that’s done, we’ll go ahead and add the top layer, finishing up the process by compaction with a roller machine. This is done with a mind for even application at the same depth as the old surface so that curbs, drainage ditches, and other structures are not negatively affected or nullified.
Reasons To Choose Woolley Milling & Paving For Your Asphalt Milling Service
You should only consider asphalt milling services from a company that has a proven track record, a business that knows how to deliver quality services. Woolley Milling & Paving’s professionals have been doing this job for a long time and we’re still going strong today.
We are a fully insured and bonded company and highly recommended by local inspectors as well as governmental, industrial, residential, commercial, and municipal entities alike.
Our skilled staff can handle any type of project large or small with unmatched expertise and skill. Whether your property needs repairs from storm damage, new blacktop laid down because the old one is beyond fixing, or something else entirely — we’ve got your paving needs covered! You won’t find better service anywhere else in Westchester County, the Hudson Valley, or the Tri-State region.
Ready To Get Started?
Asphalt milling is one of the most cost-efficient repairs that you can have done on your roadway or parking lot, so visit our contact us page, fill out our online contact form below, or give us a call at (845) 464-9830 for a free estimate.